Monday, January 27, 2014

Thankful for the Work of Other People

It was 25 degrees outside.  Snow was falling.  About 2 inches of fresh powder sat on the roads.  I’m out on a 3 mile run.  My family and friends call me crazy, but I need the run to keep me from going crazy.  I am enjoying the run, even in the frigid temperatures.  I like the falling snow.  I’m nervous about the footing as a I run, but this adds to the challenge.

About half way through the run, I round a corner and see a utility truck.  The men are bundled up working.  I’m out here for fun, but I don’t think they are out here for fun.  They are out here working to keep my neighborhood comfortable.  I doubt these guys volunteered to brace the cold and snow to work; or, if they volunteered, it was solely for the paycheck.  It made me think.  I appreciate the fact that they are braving the elements to keep me comfortable. 

As I run, I thank God for their work.  Then, I think about all the people who work to keep me comfortable.  It’s work that I can’t do; I don’t know how.  To be honest, a lot of it is probably work that I don’t want to do.  But, they do it in order to keep me comfortable.  I need to be more thankful for their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment